Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: BAD NEWS FOR VOTT FANS

  1. #1
    Inactive Member HiFiPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, All

    I recently have heard some folks were talk about GPA?s reconing kits. The crimple cloth surrounds are no longer available. Just supply foams only. Is that true?

    HFP
    ==========

  2. #2
    Inactive Member scott fitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2003
    Posts
    495
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I really hope this is not true! I sent six woofers to GPA this week for reconing, and when I spoke to Bill last week he didnt mention aything like this! Usually if somethings different he will tell you about it!

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member dhook17322's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    176
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't believe that is true. I had 2 3182's at GPA for a rebuild this summer and Bill had just designed a cloth surround type cone to replace the foam one that doesn't last and rots. He made it clear to me he dislikes the foam surround and promotes the pleated cloth ones.
    Furthermore, his supplier is discontinuing the foam surrounds. I would be very surprised if foam ones found their way back into Bills inventory. Don't think they could even be used on a 515G at all.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member joyspring's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    275
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Post

    HiFiPlayer,

    I wouldn't worry about this at all.

    The accordian cloth edge is most likely a generic size I'm certain; if it has been discontinued by one vendor (i.e.- Waldom) then GPA can probably source it from another OEM.

    The spider provides the greater proportion of the mechanical compliance and in all honesty, it would be difficult to provide _exact_ matches of legacy Altec cone kits using parts from OEM vendors in any case.

    The appreciable benefits of a new GPA cone kit (freedom from cone sag and suspension fatigue, improved transient response, better power handling) definitely outweigh the possibility it doesn't match an obsolete part.

    BobR

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.